8.02.2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop: Curriculum Week

Welcome fellow Not Back to School Blog Hoppers...and others who happen by here today! I'm glad to have discovered and joined the Hop - and hope to visit many others' blogs over the next four weeks.

If you're hopping, I know you have many other places to check out so I'll get right to the point for this week and share what we're using for curriculum this year.


For my two daughters, ages eight and nine:


My Father's World: Exploring Countries and Cultures for world geography, cultural studies, science (ecology), and some language arts, literature, music, and art, all from a thoroughly Christian worldview;




currently Beta and will move on to Gamma later in the year;



currently Level 2 and will start Level 3 sometime this fall;







Writing Strands Level 2 for composition and integrated, applied grammar;







Literature:
Amish Pathway Readers and age- and level-appropriate chapter books from each major literary genre:
  • Amelia Earhart: Young Air Pioneer by Jane Moore (biography);
  • Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner (adventure);
  • Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover (adventure);
  • Hannah by Gloria Whelan (historical fiction);
  • Pioneer Cat by William H. Hooks (historical fiction);
  • The Littles by John Peterson (fantasy);
  • Treasure of Pelican Cove by Milly Howard (mystery);
  • Jeremy: The Tale of an Honest Bunny by Jan Karon (folk tale);
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three tall Tales by Sid Fleischman (folk tale);
  • One Small Square: Backyard by Donald M. Silver (non-fiction);
  • Capyboppy by Bill Petty (humor);
  • Who's That Stepping on Plymouth Rock? by Jean Fritz (humor);
  • The Secret School by Avi (realistic fiction);







Artistic Pursuits, K-3: Book 2, with plans to start Book 3 shortly.









And, for my two daycare girls, both age four, we'll use:


My Father's World from A to Z: Kindergarten for reading instruction, science, math, music, and art - all from a Christian perspective;












My daughters actually started today; it was a very busy, full day, but I am looking forward to seeing things unfold as we find our "groove" with all our great materials. The daycare children will begin the last week of August. I'm not sure how I'll juggle it all...but God will make a way!

7 comments:

Monica said...

Just dropping by for the NBTS Blog Hop. Sounds like your are going to have a great year!
Monica

Kellie said...

My curriculum list is almost identical to yours! Will you be doing weekly reports?

Have a great year!

Nichole said...

That looks like a great (and busy) plan!

Denise said...

Stopping by on the blog hop~ I enjoyed reading reading your post, and am now following your blog. I love the look of your blog!

chubbycheeks said...

Hey Tina! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I recognize you from the Homeschool Lounge! I love seeing all your positive posts about My Fathers World. I was very interested in using My Fathers World myself, but decided to go with Heart of Dakota. I hope you have a great year, so far ours is going well.

Glennda said...

Hi Tina! Thanks for stopping by my blog :o) Looks like we'll be doing some of the same things this year. I'll have to do a better job of posting school reports this year ;-)
Blessings!

Nicole said...

I'll be interested in reading how your year with ECC goes! It sounds like fun.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, we'll have to compare notes in hsing with a baby in the mix.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...