8.08.2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop: School Room Week

As I continue my month-long participation in Heart of the Matter's Not Back to School Blog Hop, we come to School Room Week.

But...we don't really have a "school room," per se...because we don't have what I consider to be a "school" in many senses of that word. Yes, lots of learning happens here - both when we're doing formal academics and when we're just living life - but I've recently been getting away from the idea of home "school."

Instead, I've come to view what we provide for our girls as an independent education at home. As such, learning happens in a variety of ways - most of which are markedly different than what occurs in traditional schools - throughout our home (and, of course, beyond). Now, that might be a matter of semantics, but it's an important distinction to me.

That said, join me on a partial tour of our home learning site:

The girls do have desks, purchased for just $10 each last fall from another home-educating mom, and they do a lot of their bookwork here, for convenience-sake if nothing else. But they're not in a classroom; instead, they're in one part of our large living room and, actually, blend in with the other decor rather nicely.

Our home library is right here, too. The girls draw from it for some assigned reading, but also just love to peruse its contents - which I was recently able to reorganize - for the fun of it.

But a living room couch is another perfect spot to enjoy a good book. In fact, the girls and I agree that our favorite times of day are when we cuddle together here for reading of some kind.


And a tour of our living room would be incomplete without pointing out our piano, which the girls spend time at for formal practice and to simply enjoy music - both playing and singing.

Of course, they need a place at which to work with me on some tasks, too, and so our kitchen table morphs into an educational zone whenever necessary.



And, in addition to the table, the dining area also includes a large calendar, a world map for this year's geography focus (which we'll replace with a large timeline when we get back to history), our workboxes, and Our Do-It Door.



Then there is my "office," a small room nearby that also serves as a supply closet, the location for Spanish and typing lessons (on the laptop), an extra reading nook...and a cat haven (note the comfy-looking chair in the lower left corner of the second photo).



And, finally, we have our outdoor learning lab / playground.



Because, when it comes to an enjoyable, inviting learning environment, there really is no place like home.

*****

16 comments:

Harter said...

I love it! Beautiful post about your home Tina!

Kellye said...

What a great post about your home!! Have a great year!!!

Branch Of Wisdom said...

Great use of your space! It's nice to see how other workbox families are set up, too :)

Deb said...

Hi Tina! Thanks for visiting me on the Blog Hop.

I see you around over on THL, and I'd like to tell you that the things you have said about formal grammar instruction have really resonated with me and made a difference in how and WHEN I plan on approaching that subject. You make some very logical and compelling arguments. Thanks for that input.

Deb said...

Oh, plus - I LOVE those little desks!

~Robin~ said...

Very nice! I love your philosphy behind education. So true. Academics is only half of the learning needed in life. Have a blessed year!

Daddy's Chick's said...

I am a mother of two girls as well. Thanks for sharing how you use your space. Very organized!! Have a blessed week.

Marsha said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really, really like your idea of the Do It Door. It would be easy to adapt to fit our needs. I enjoyed the tour of your learning space. have a great week!

SANDRA said...

Hi Tina,
Thanks for visiting our blog on the Blog Hop. I really enjoyed reading about your views on education at home. We feel the same way. Thank you for providing a link to the article you mentioned. Added your blog to follow.

Pastorette's Progress said...

Great post. Home is where the heart is and you do a great job using it for learning and teaching!! Happy homeschooling!

Yunia said...

I like the girls desks, the drawings on the door in the second picture and your library, congrats, you seem to have all your books labeled - have a great school year

joelle said...

I love your school room. It is nice and cozy and the girls look like they are liking it too. You've done a nice job at organizing it.

rawbanana said...

I saw one of your girls reading Days Go By- we love all those books! Saw you used MUS too, we are currently using Alpha and Gamma in our house-we love it! thanks for sharing =)

Denise said...

You have a precious family! I enjoyed looking through all your photos.

Kysha said...

I love how you utilize your space!

Our Village is a Little Different said...

I love how you blend school into your home, and it all flows so nicely. I hope you and the girls have a wonderful and blessed school year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...