8.15.2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop: Student Photo Week

Around here, it's a sign of the season. By the middle of September - right on the heels of their "Welcome Back!" notices - all the front-lawn public school message display boards communicate one idea: Picture Day! And, sure enough, the photographers have made their rounds by the end of the month so parents might have the children's annual photos well before Thanksgiving.

I am more and more doing things less and less as the public schools do. After all, independent home education is an alternative and, thus, by definition, can (and dare I even say ought?) to be different. So, for example, we've adopted a year-round schedule, making the placement of our "first day" each year a little fuzzy. And I've embraced the idea of pursuing regular progress across the curriculum instead of thinking about the artificial construct called "grade level."

But, as I mentioned in our official "first day" post a few weeks ago, it's important for kids - and adults - to mark milestones in life. And, of course, one such anchor for children can be the annual "school" photo.

So here - without further ado - are my main students, in pictures taken on August 2, our "first day" this year:

In addition to my girls, I also care for a few children in my small, in-home childcare business. I only watch teachers' children so they've all been on summer vacation since early June and won't return until the last week of August. But in a very real sense, those kids are my students, too. After all, the full-timers are with me eight or nine hours a day for at least 190 days a year and I provide for them - in this case, the two little girls - a complete, age-appropriate educational experience, just as I do for my own daughters. The little guy only comes one afternoon a week so he's less involved in our formal learning, but he's part of our little "family," too, and is included as much as possible.

Not pictured yet are the two little babies - a sibling for each little girl - who will join us in October and late May or early June, respectively. Obviously, their learning tasks will be different than those of any of these older kids...but we're all looking forward to meeting them, and I'm looking forward to meeting their needs, too.

*****

Next week for the Not Back to School Blog Hop, I'll share a Day-in-the-Life snapshot of our learning endeavors...so come on back then if you'd like to see how I'll (try!) to juggle it all for this year!

15 comments:

Jenilee said...

sounds like a great way to have school and yes, it should be a little different! :) good for you!

Daddy's Chick's said...

Thanks for sharing . . . I am a mother of two girls as well. Have a blessed week!!!

Daddy's Chick's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Branch Of Wisdom said...

Beautiful children :) Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful year of homeschooling *Ü*

"Come, you children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD."
Psalm 34:11

Yunia said...

nice pictures

SANDRA said...

Wonderful pictures. I think it is a great set up that you have in your home.

Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing your pics with us. Many blessings on your year. =)

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Your girls are adorable! Have a GREAT new year!!!
Courtney

Dana said...

Thanks for the comments on mine.
Wow, how do you homeschool and watch kids at the same time. You must be a wonderful multitasker.

Have a good year!

Carrie said...

sweet girls!

Carrie said...

Your girls are precious!!

Hope you have a wonderful year!

Brenda said...

Wow do your girls look like sisters! :)

Wonder what the public school teachers, who drop their children off at your house, think about your homeschool?

TheRockerMom said...

I'm reciprocating from The Linton Academy. Thanks for dropping by and saying, "Hi!"

I totally agree about making things different. Although I still have some time before we "officially" begin, I have never planned to mimic the school system.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful "extended" learning family!

Samantha said...

Thanks for the visit!!

Momma K said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. :) My you will have your hands full! I will keep checking on you and how things are going. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...