DAY 6: RUSSIA
- Baboushka: A Christmas Folktale from Russia by Arthur Scholey
- Christmas Around the World, Ch. 9 by Emily Kelley
We'll use adapted directions found in Celebrate Christmas Around the World (CCAW) to make Fabric Ball Ornaments:
- fabric scraps
- a small styrofoam ball
- white craft glue
- 6" ribbon
- straight pins
- a pencil
- Choose and cut several small fabric scraps to fit around the ball.
- Place one piece of fabric on the ball. Use the point of the pencil to gently push the fabric edges about 1/8" into the ball - or, alternately, use straight pins or the glue to secure the corners of the piece. Repeat with the other fabric scraps, overlapping them into a pleasing design.
- When the entire ball is covered with fabric, loop the ribbon and use a straight pin to attach it to the top of the ball.
I'll try to find some nesting dolls to display and discuss.
CCAW contains a recipe for Kovrizhka Medovaya - honey spice cake - that "is a Russian Christmas favorite" (66). We'll have it for snack.
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. honey
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds or other nuts
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 c. raisins
- whipped cream or jam
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs well.
- Add brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add egg and sugar mixture to the flour mixture. Stir well.
- Add honey and stir for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in raisins.
- Pour dough into a greased pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly on the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 20 minutes. Slice and serve with whipped cream or jam.
The children will add a page for Russia to their Christmas Around the World booklets.