2.16.2011

Daybooking: Vol. 1, Issue 1

Several months ago, I came across The Simple Woman's Daybook. I've been wanting to try posting for it ever since but never seemed to find time to get to it.

Tonight I wanted to blog and could address any number of topics...but didn't feel particularly motivated by any of them. Enter another reminder about daybooking and, voila, this seems like a perfect opportunity to give it a whirl.

The idea is to take some time to journal about daily life, using a series of designated prompts. So here goes...

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
the snow was melting in a "heat wave" that saw us approach 50 degrees. Even as I reminded the girls that more winter is sure to come, I wished I could be wrong.

I am thinking...
about how to continue speaking up firmly and passionately about things that matter to me without becoming "ugly" in the process. I think about Jesus clearing the Temple, but also realize how easily I mess up on the command to "be angry but sin not" (Ephesians 4.26). This is not a simple idea at all!

I am thankful for...
all the Lord has provided for me and my family. From the world's perspective, we live day-to-day. But we're never in want and are blessed with riches galore, both tangible and not. Appropriately, the girls' memory verses over the last few weeks have been Matthew 6.24, 25 and 33.

From the learning rooms...
we're wrapping up a unit about Saudi Arabia and have spent considerable time over the last few days learning about Islam. The insecurity inherent in such a rules-based religion and the marginalization of Jesus bother the girls. We've talked a lot about how the proper response is not anger but compassion for Muslim people, who have been so deceived, and prayer that many will hear about and embrace saving faith in Jesus.

From the kitchen...
I'm acutely aware of my need to get back to regularly cooking "real meals," part of a larger endeavor to get back on track in several areas of my life.

I am wearing...
a Packer sweatshirt, though not my new Superbowl Champions one, and yoga pants...even though I will never practice yoga.

I am creating...
new personal habits. I am on the ground floor of a skyscraper in that process, but at least the construction has begun.

I am going...
to meet with a prospective homeschool mom tomorrow night. God has recently given me several opportunities like this - occasions on which I can explain elements of home education and, yes, advocate for it. It brings me great joy.

I am reading...
Decision Points by George W. Bush and Stay Home, Stay Happy by Rachel Campos Duffy - an odd combo to be sure. I am only about halfway through each and have not picked up either in several weeks, but they wait expectantly for when I might next crack them open.

I am hoping...
the baby has a good day tomorrow. 'Nuf said.

I am hearing...
Bill O'Reilly, Keith Ablow, and Danny Bonaduce talk about the downfall of Miley Cyrus. Okay, it is admittedly not part of the "simple life" to care in the least about the foibles of celebrities. Hearing this wasn't intentional; I just like the background noise of news shows, and such was the topic at hand.

Around the house...
it's quiet. The girls have been in bed for a while, and my husband just retired for the night.

One of my favorite things...
is when my boy cats, Sweater and Clawde, hop up onto the couch and take their respective cuddle spots around me. Any minute now...

A few plans for the rest of the week:
A friend from church - a retired teacher and administrator who now travels internationally doing educational consulting - is coming over tomorrow to share her pictures from Saudi Arabia. She'll also bring an "abeya" for the girls to see; I think that's another name for a burka, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...


A recent Daddy-led art lesson

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...