3.02.2011

Daybooking: Vol. 1, Issue 2

The idea for this post comes from The Simple Woman's Daybook. Consider joining in.

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
it's dark because I'm writing at 10:00 at night. But during the day, it was bright and sunny. And, though the afternoon temperature barely reached 30 degrees, it seemed warmer than that. We surely have a good deal of winter still ahead of us, but today gave us a taste of spring.

I am thinking...
about the newborn, premature daughters born three weeks ago today to my online friend, Alexis Matthews. Both girls have a long road ahead of them, and Britain has been having a very hard time over the past couple of days. On the other hand, Jillian has been doing well lately, and Alexis got to hold her for over an hour today. I need to be continually in prayer for them.

I am thankful for...
my husband, who cooked dinner for the girls tonight so I could get to the Y for a quick workout before Abigail's dance class. I'd missed my Tuesday "appointment" and typically cannot go on Wednesday mornings because Jeff has early morning Bible study. It was a relief to not have to skip two days in a row.

From the learning rooms...
we're wrapping up our study of India this week. Over the weekend, I hope to post a summary of my Globetrottin' Girls' adventures (in France, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, and India) over the last two months.

From the kitchen...
I actually got spontaneous! A missionary friend was coming for dinner last night, but I hadn't previously thought of a fruit course. At first, I thought I'd either skip it altogether or ask Jeff to grab a deli salad from the nearby grocery store. But then I thought, "Hey, I've got pineapple, apples, and grapes...plus some yogurt and Cool Whip. Why not whip something together?" And so I did, even adding chopped dates at the last minute...just because they were in my cupboard. Now, to those who improvise in the kitchen all the time, this is not a big deal. But for me, it was huge. And, what's more, it tasted really good!

I am wearing...
my usual "uniform:" yoga pants and a big sweatshirt.

I am creating...
new health habits. Today was not a stellar day in that regard, but I've been doing well otherwise and am looking forward to doing better tomorrow.

I am going...
to see Baby Leah, Anna's newborn sister, tomorrow. She'll be here for just a few minutes when the girls' mom comes to pick Anna up in the afternoon, but even that will be sweet. I hope she opens her eyes, as she's only been sleeping when I've seen her so far.

I am reading...
the latest issue of WORLD magazine.

I am hoping...
that the budget situation in my state will soon be settled. Given the state's terrible debt situation, I see no other alternative. And the only way everyone will see that the governor's proposed changes will help us all in the long-run is for the bill to become law. I'm tired of the unrest and conflict, even among friends, and want us all to be able to move forward.

I am hearing...
Bill O'Reilly and Megyn Kelly debate today's Supreme Court decision concerning the bigots from Westboro "Church," who picket fallen soldiers' funerals. I find the actions of those people reprehensible, but I think the Supreme Court made the only Constitutional decision possible. As awful as the protests are, they involve the exercise of free speech, which must be protected - because, even when speech is unpopular, wrong, or even disgusting, it must still not be censored by law. That said, let's hope veterans and others continue to provide protection and a shield for grieving families so they needn't endure the Westboro people's verbal assaults.

Around the house...
I was happy to have all necessary tasks done pretty early tonight. I had to stay up too late last night and didn't even finish everything before I got too exhausted to continue. The contrast tonight is refreshing.

One of my favorite things...
is that my girls still crave cuddling with me. They prefer reading with me each day instead of doing it independently - even if that means they must wait and, therefore, finish their bookwork later than necessary - simply so they can curl up with me at least once a day.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
N. and H. are going on a mini-vacation with their parents so I won't see them again until Monday. But Anna's coming tomorrow, and we'll get to see Baby Leah for a few minutes. Tomorrow night, I'll head to church to prepare the slides and lights for this weekend's worship services. On Friday, we should have Anna and Tegen with us. I'm planning an "Indian Feast" for lunch on Friday.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...


Rachel and Abigail meet newborn Leah while big sister Anna looks on protectively

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...