5.03.2011

And the Drum Roll Please...

It's no secret to anyone with whom I've "talked home education" in the past couple of years that I am a huge fan of My Father's World (MFW). I discovered MFW after an exhaustive (and exhausting!) journey through "curriculum wilderness" during our first three years of formal academic work and have had an amazing experience with it so far. In fact, I've already purchased our materials for "next year" and at this point see MFW being our core all the way through the girls' high school years.

I realize and acknowledge that MFW will not suit every family, but I think it'd be a great fit for many. And so I'm not shy about suggesting that folks take a look at the website, ask questions (of me and others with MFW experience), and even call the MFW office for further guidance. I've shared the materials at our local curriculum fair and moderate the MFW group on The Homeschool Lounge. I also regularly blog about our home learning endeavors, many of which are MFW-inspired activities.

And I guess MFW has taken notice...because I got a call last week asking if I'd come to my state's CHEA convention this month to work the MFW table!

I had a great conversation with the gal who called - in fact, as is the case whenever I speak with anyone at MFW, I felt like I was talking with an old friend. And I felt so honored to be asked that I was prepared to instantly accept...

Except it wasn't that easy.

I knew my husband wouldn't bat an eye, even though it would mean me being gone for three nights and almost three days. In fact, his first response was, "Oh, you have to do this!"

But I had three (and, really, four) significant "hoops" to jump through before I could sign on - and I determined that an inability to clear any of them would mean the Lord's answer for this opportunity was, "Not yet." And, though I was very excited to help MFW and for possible future opportunities this might open up for me, I was very at peace with that possibility as well.

Yesterday afternoon, I started working through the hoops: making sure my absence wouldn't be a hardship on the family for whom I provide babysitting; finding child care for my own girls for two whole days since my husband can't take time off right now; and figuring out how to keep my previously-scheduled commitment to serve on the video team at my church that weekend. A tall order, to be sure!

But you guessed it: Just a short time ago, I cleared the last one! So I'll call my "buddy" at MFW tomorrow to confirm my convention attendance and find out what else I need to know at this point.

As thrilled as I am, I must also admit to a tad bit of ambivalence - because, just today, my Mother's Day article appeared in the Celebrate Kids email newsletter, and in it I strongly advocate for a mother's heart and focus to be with her children...at home. In fact, I make no apologies for the fact that I've built much of my life around my role as my girls' primary caregiver and that I've never been away from them for more than two nights. So the fact that this will be for three feels a bit odd, especially since it involves something that's "for me."

But my husband has assured me that he doesn't think I'm being hypocritical - because this a one-time, short-term event. And, in fact, my purpose will be to encourage other families toward home education (i.e., family discipleship and unity). And, obviously, he is more than capable of caring for the girls in the evenings...not to mention the fact that the Lord has provided for two different, equally trustworthy and wonderful family friends to watch the girls during the two weekdays I'll be gone. Plus, Jeff and the girls will be enjoying a special adventure as they head to my in-laws' on Saturday for a backyard campout with his sister and her kids.

And so, though at the moment it feels as weird as it does exciting to know I'm going to follow through with this, I can't ignore the fact that everything which needed to happen to make it possible did, in fact, occur (and in short order with minimal effort on my part!). Since I asked for God's direction, all the green lights must be from Him...for whatever longer-term purposes He has in mind.

So...convention and MFW booth, here I come!

9 comments:

Simply Taunya said...

Congratulations Tina! It sounds like an amazing opportunity. Any chance your girls and husband can travel with you and make it a learning opportunity?

Laurie said...

Congratulations!

Twinkle Mom said...

This sounds fantastic and no, doesn't sound like you are being a hypocrite....if this was something that was overwhelming you or took up most of your life, may want to say..okay...lay down the dayplanner and walk away from it...but this is a wonderful opportunity in light of a curriculum you believe in!!

Lisa said...

It sounds like a great opportunity and experience for you. I know that the lady that I talked to at the MFW booth at the Convention I went to was such a huge blessing and help to me. She was a large part of the deciding factor for me to go ahead and purchase the curriculum for next year! I hope you get to be that for someone else where you will be helping.

Q said...

FUN! And no - not hypocritical at all. You are not taking on a career with MFW. It's 3 days of simply encouraging others in the same path. Not 3 days a week or month. You're fine! :)

Kimberly said...

I'm glad it worked out for you. I worked at the booth this past March during our convention. Remember to wear comfortable shoes. I thought I had...

Homeschooling6 said...

I'm so excited for you. I love MFW but it just hasn't worked for us. I'm actually thinking of purchasing the 1st grade for Lance, and work through it at a slower pace. Maybe take two years to finish it. What do you think about that? With regards to AAR, I think you might consider waiting for Level 1 and then decide. Pre-level; first 26 lessons are introducing the capital letters, next 26 are lower and the last 25 or so are introducing the sound. There are rhyming games and such. I'm thinking your dd might be ready for the next level.

Stephanie said...

Congrats! I'd love to hear more about My Father's World! What is the curriculum like? What are your favorite things about it? Etc. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Lisa said...

I love MFW too and also believe it would be a great fit for many, if given the chance. I think one of my favorite things about MFW is the Bible integration. Spending time learning God's word -during school- is a huge blessing and those are very special moments for us.

Congratulations! I hope you truly enjoy yourself without feeling a bit of guilt. I learned that if God calls a parent away, such in your case, He will provide for the needs of each member of the family, in exchange for your obedience to Him! How cool is that? So, no guilt! It's all for Him!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...