8.19.2011

Discipleship Deliberation: Vol. 2, Issue 3

NapalmInTheMorning

My online friend, Q, has a home education-related link-up she calls Discipleship Deliberation. I like Q's way of looking at life - great minds think alike, lol! - and so I've adopted her format for our weekly home learning summaries. If you'd like to join in, just visit Q to get her button, read her deliberation for the week, review her guidelines, and link up.

~~~~~

The week in general ~
We started our new academic term on August 1 and have been doing regular bookwork nearly every weekday since...but I still don't feel that we've yet really begun. I guess that's because we're still waiting to start in several subject areas and because this month has been (and will continue to be) filled with so many situations that call for flexibility. It's good growth for me that I've still worked to stay on-task with what I set out for us to accomplish this month...instead of just giving up until the schedule could be "perfect." Still, I freely admit to looking forward to September, when we'll be able to fall into a more regular routine.


In our studies this week ~
We accomplished everything on the week's learning grid! In fact, with just a couple of tweaks, I believe the grid format I've adopted will work well for the year.

We'll usually do science just two or three days a week, but we're doing it every day until we start up with our main history core after Labor Day. This week, our focus was on the atmosphere - specifically air pressure, wind, and clouds. The girls made these pictures after we'd read about the different kinds of clouds.

We also took time - as a combination history and Bible lesson - to do the Bible Overview unit in The Picture-Smart Bible. The girls absolutely loved it and were delighted to hear we'll do several more units throughout the year.


What needs some tweaking ~
As I hinted might be an issue, we (read *I*) will have to do a better job of getting our bookwork started in a timely manner each day. Being lax didn't cause big problems this week - we still eventually accomplished everything in the plans each day - but we'll need more discipline starting this coming week. The children I babysit will return full-time on Wednesday, which means doubling our "class size" and juggling the needs of a baby alongside those of three girls doing various types of formal education...so, if I don't hold us to a good start-time each day, we'll be in trouble!


My own discipleship ~
Spiritually, I've felt kind of shaky...because, though to some it seems patently silly, I'm nervous about pictures we'll take with my husband's extended family - to celebrate the wonderful accomplishment of his parents' 50th wedding anniversary - tomorrow. I don't often photograph well so I've become quite "photophobic" - and, thus, I've wrestled with anxiety all week. I've had friends praying for a miracle - that I'll be content with all the pictures I'm in - even as I myself have been praying, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"


The best thing about the week ~
Okay, it's shallow...but a highlight of the week was sucking up the courage to try on some clothes I've not been able to fit into for a couple of years...and having "the" jeans (you know what I mean, ladies!) slip on and button without much effort. They're still a bit snug, but I could wear them out and about now if I wanted to. So that is a victory that gives me some hope for tomorrow, and I'm clinging to that...but I'm still nervous.


Questions, comments, thoughts ~
Isn't she just the cutest thing? In contrast to me, she lights up like this every time she sees a camera!


Something to share ~
I'm still looking for ladies to link up with my new Mystery of History Blog Roll. If you use MOH, check it out and join up. Then spread the word to your fellow MOH-using friends! In fact, even if you don't use MOH, I sure would appreciate a shout-out among your (blogging and Facebook) networks so that MOH users find us.
Mystery of History Blog Roll

1 comment:

Becky said...

I have a question about the Picture Smart Bible program. Is it just the picture sheets and you read from the bible? Could you give me a little more info as to what you get with it. Did you get the Download?
Thanks Becky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...