9.12.2011

Discipleship Deliberation: Vol. 2, Issue 6

NapalmInTheMorning


The week in general ~
We enjoyed (finally) being on some semblance of a regular schedule for our bookwork! And, after anticipating that we might often need to go as late as 2:30, I was pleasantly surprised to see that we finished no later than 1:45 each day.


In our studies this week ~
I added a new, independent learning activity: requiring the girls to each read two stories a week in a level-appropriate title in the Amish Pathway Reading series and complete the accompanying workbook pages. The stories are very engaging, so this is a good way for them to practice their "reading to learn" and working-on-their-own skills. I was happily surprised at how well they took to it...and with how well they did on the vocabulary and comprehension exercises in the workbooks.


What needs some tweaking ~
If you know me in real life, you may be surprised to hear that I'm in need of some organizational help at the moment. I am quite organized by nature, but every once in a while, I get overwhelmed and struggle. So right now my desk looks as if it's been hit by a tsunami, I've not placed a library order in weeks, I still have August pictures on my camera, I'm having a hard time getting to the Y regularly, and I'm organizing bookwork nightly instead of having a weekly or biweekly plan, as is my preference. And that's just the short list! I'm managing day-to-day but feel out of sorts. I need a hunk of time to re-calibrate.


My own discipleship ~
I'm working through some insecurity issues at the moment - trying to focus on truth instead of my feelings and seeking to walk through this to the other side instead of worrying.


The best thing about the week ~
Maybe not "the" best thing...but "a" best thing was watching the Green Bay Packers earn their first victory of the season over an impressive New Orleans Saints team.


Questions, comments, thoughts ~
We continue to enjoy The Mystery of History, and it works well as-written. However, I really feel a need to get my act together in terms of ordering supplementary library books. Actually, I want the girls to have access to a supply of good literature related to both our science (106 Days of Creation Studies) and our history; after all, the more enrichment-type materials around, the better.


Something to share ~
Much to my delight, this is a favorite past time around here:


~~~~~

My online friend, Q, started this home education-related link-up she calls Discipleship Deliberation, and I've really enjoyed the format. If you'd like to join in, just visit Q at Napalm in the Morning to get her button, read her deliberation for the week, review her guidelines, and link up.

I'm also linking this post to the Homeschool Blog Link-Up 9/9 over at Virtuous Foundations where, incidentally, Lea named me as a featured blog for the second week in a row.

2 comments:

Dawne Shelton said...

I like your family's past-time. :)

My teens (like their mama) hate having their pictures taken. =) They are actually quite excited this year over their math, science and history books...but nobody likes English. lol

Lea H @ Virtuous Foundations said...

Thanks for posting this on Virtuous Foundations Homeschool Blog Link-Up!

Check back later tonight to see if you were featured :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...