10.09.2011

31 Days of Being Real: Day 9 - Homeschooling Resources Meme

My hilarious friend Layla over at Flat Tire(d): A Homeschool Life Blog tagged me in a homeschool meme that I thought could serve as a perfect addition to this series. Of course, there's no way I can match Layla's humor so I won't even try...and you will absolutely not find Miss Photophobic Me posing for webcam pictures as she does so gamely. But I like the prompts so I'll do my best to be real with my answers:


1. One homeschool book I have enjoyed:
Two books actually come mind: For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay, the daughter of Francis Schaeffer, and How Am I Smart? by Dr. Kathy Koch, Ph.D. The former explains the whole-child philosophy I've embraced, and the latter - though not specifically a homeschooling book - helped me get a handle on how the Lord has wired each of my daughters, and that has made a world of difference in our home learning endeavors.

2. One resource I wouldn't be without:
I honestly don't think I could function half as well (not only with my daughters but with the children I babysit, too) without having adopted Sue Patrick's workbox system a few years ago. When we first started, I said I felt we were doing twice as much work as before in half the time; I still feel as strongly, and the girls love that the system helps them know just what to expect each day.

3. One resource I wish I had never bought:
Oh, my goodness, this one's easy: Streams of Civilization, the main required history text in the core curriculum I thought I'd use this year. For starters, the book is admittedly written for high schoolers so there's no way it could have been appropriate for my nine and 10-year olds (and I was actually dumbfounded that the curriculum company said with a straight face that it could work). In addition, it was undoubtedly the most boring book I've yet encountered as a home educator! With so many engaging history resources out there, why in heaven's name would I subject my children to that?

4. One resource I enjoyed last year:
Last year was my first using Queen Language Arts, a gentle but thorough Charlotte Mason-style approach to grammar. We're still using it.

5. One resource I will be using this year:
After realizing in July that I disliked many of my initial curriculum choices for the year, I made lots of changes. For instance, I opted to replace my first choice for history (the program that used Streams of Civilization - ugh!) with Mystery of History. I haven't regretted it for a day.

6. One resource I would like to buy:
I will be buying some materials from the Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) and the Brain Integration Therapy Manual by Dianne Craft just as soon as I gather the funds.

7. One resource I wish existed:
I can't top Layla on this! I need a self-cleaning house...because I am most decidedly not "Susie Homemaker," and I could use all the help I can get. However, the only such house I've ever heard of was the "main character" in a Ray Bradbury story, There Will Come Soft Rains, set in a post-apocalyptic suburb. So - yeah - I think I'll pass and just do my best to keep our ever-growing pile of dirty dishes at bay on my own.

8. One homeschool catalog I enjoy reading:
I honestly don't read catalogs because I determined to be content with what we are using at any given time...until or unless I decide a change is needed, at which point I start browsing relevant websites. I do order from the Rainbow Resource site regularly, though. Maybe because Rainbow publishes "the mother of all catalogs," that counts?

9. One homeschooling website I use regularly:
Every day - multiple times a day, actually! - I am over at The Homeschool Lounge (THL) interacting with some of the thousands of fellow home educating women who call THL their virtual homeschool support group. I have a great local group, too, but the ladies at THL are literally right at my fingertips, and I cherish my connections there.

10. Tag other homeschoolers:
I follow a lot of neat homeschool blogs - and wish some of my non-blogging homeschool friends would start blogging so I could follow them, too! If I listed them all...well, it'd be quite a list, so here's just a sampling of my faves:
~~~~~

To read other 31 Day blogs and/or join in yourself, visit Nesting Place.

Button Design: Jeff Hollenbeck

1 comment:

Layla Payton said...

AWESOME! I knew you would rock this! I can't wait to hit all of those links and check out the suggestions. It's funny that you hated "Civilizations" so much, as my oldest LOVED it. He would even read it in his spare time! My younger ones are not as taken with it, so I may look into "Mystery of History" for them (I keep hearing great stuff about it).

Thanks for the kind words. Oddly, I HATE having my pic professionally taken, but looking like a dork in front of my phone cam...not a problem. LOL

Thanks for playing along! I will share your link with my friends. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...