11.26.2011

Advent Plans

I patently refused to set foot in a store yesterday. For one thing, I dislike crowds - so just the thought of subjecting myself to "Black Friday" chaos (which one wise friend appropriately dubbed "A.M. Mayhem") gives me the willies. For another, even though I understand the economics of the day, I have a hard time supporting the glorification of such blatant materialism. After all, Christmas really shouldn't be about "stuff." I do purchase Christmas gifts for friends and family members, but if I felt I had to push and shove amongst thousands of others to get something in particular - even for an "incredible" sales price - I'd have to acknowledge that my priorities were mixed up.

Instead, since my husband is visiting his sister for the weekend, the girls and I just relaxed here at home. They enjoyed making cardboard dollhouses, filling the living room with cushion forts, and watching a few good movies. I visited with Facebook friends and caught up on my blog reading. And, in the process, I came across a gem of a resource, Truth in the Tinsel: An Advent Experience for Little Hands, by blogger Amanda White, and subsequently finalized our Advent plans for this year.

For quite some time, we've used a really wonderful (but now out-of-print) interactive bulletin board Advent calendar by Carson Dellosa. The girls enjoy it, and I may put it out again just for fun, but I wanted a fresh approach. Enter Truth in the Tinsel.

Amanda has created Truth in the Tinsel with young children in mind - she says it's geared toward preschool through early elementary - but I know my intermediate-aged daughters and other older elementary-aged kids who've not become jaded about childhood will similarly enjoy it. Each day includes a focus Bible passage, a simple craft, suggestions for discussion, and ideas for further study - all of which can be done in 30 minutes a day or less and yet clearly point children to the beauty and truth of the Christmas story. I can't wait to work through this with Rachel, Abigail, and young Anna!

In addition - after wrapping up a bit of science this coming week - we'll modify our normal academic schedule for most of December to accommodate our annual Christmas unit study. We've already come to a good temporary stopping point in our core history studies, and the girls will continue with math, reading, and some language arts through mid-December. But, starting on December 5, we'll focus during our daily group times on re-visiting the Christmas Around the World series we initiated last year.

At the time, we were studying world geography, so "Christmas Around the World" was a natural extension, and - using a wonderful resource called Celebrate Christmas Around the World (CCAW) by Teacher Created Resources - we had a great time focusing on eight of the countries covered in our core curriculum at the time.

So this year, since CCAW actually contains information for over 20 countries, we'll go through the remaining ones using a similar format, taking the opportunity to also review world geography. And, as I did last year, I'll post our plans for any who'd like to follow along.

Thus, I'll aim for this Advent schedule:


ADVENT / DEVOTIONAL
CHRISTMAS UNIT STUDY
OTHER ACADEMICS
December
1
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 1
Science
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

2
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 2
Science
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

3
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 3
4
Church (2nd Advent Sunday)
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 4
5
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 5
Thailand
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

6
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 6
Philippines
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

7
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 7
Ukraine
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

8
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 8
Poland
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

9
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 9
Austria
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

10
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 10
11
Church (3rd Advent Sunday)
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 11
12
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 12
Czechoslovakia
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

13
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 13
Switzerland
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

14
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 14
Greece
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

15
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 15
Italy
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

16
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 16
Spain
Math
Language Arts / Reading
Other

17
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 17
18
Church (4th Advent Sunday)
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 18
19
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 19
Netherlands
20
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 20
Great Britain
21
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 21
U.S. & Canada
22
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 22
23
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 23
24
Truth in the Tinsel, Day 24
Christmas Eve Service
~~~~~
In case you're wondering, I have not been paid or otherwise remunerated for my endorsements of these products. I am an affiliate for All About Learning Press (AALP) - publisher of All About Spelling and All About Reading - but this is not a "review blog." Thus, other than AALP materials, I don't benefit financially from any products I promote. I simply recommend what I think are excellent resources.

Photo Credit: titchables (http://www.flickr.com/photos/titchables/5172433861/)

2 comments:

Q said...

Blech - I'm with you re: AM Mayhem. Life has handed us an e-ticket that will keep our Christmas celebrations (the physical, decorative side, not the spiritual side) super small this year and I can't wait!

Lori said...

Hi Tina, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Cushion forts and good movies sounds like a perfect afternoon! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...