3.09.2012

Discipleship Deliberation: February, 2012

<span class=

I can't believe we're almost halfway through March! I also can't believe it's taken me this long to share my summary of February. But, because late is better than never, here is:

My February, 2012 Deliberation

The month in general ~
...was busy and de rigeur, all at the same time. In hindsight, I see that we did lots. But, at the time, everything seemed rather par-for-the-course. I think that's more a reflection of my mood than anything else, though, which has, unfortunately, been rather depressed.


In our studies this month ~
In many ways, this was simply a month to keep plugging along, making daily progress with our formal bookwork. Not that things weren't interesting - the girls have been choosing really good literature selections, they're finally mastering multiplication facts (thanks to City Creek Press!), and we continued to enjoy the content and approaches of both our history and science curricula. But it just felt, to me, like a month in which we were mostly "treading water," biding our time.


We did take one field trip - an afternoon outing to
Heritage Hill State Park, where we joined other homeschool families for an old-fashioned one-room schoolhouse experience. I was impressed that Rachel and Abigail didn't hesitate to participate - one more proof that allowing kids to set their own pace in social situations, according to their own comfort levels, is, indeed, the right course of action. In contrast, Anna had a shy day, choosing to sit with me - but, as I've learned, that's as it should be for most five-year olds. And Leah provided some comic relief by toddling to the front of the classroom at one point and curiously eyeing up the "teacher," who smiled and said, "Oh, we've got a young one here!"


What needs some tweaking ~
My health! I still do not have my act together in some areas that need commitment and consistency, and I'm suffering for it, emotionally and physically. In addition, I pinched a nerve at the beginning of the month and continue to deal with the consequences of that. Fortunately, I didn't wait long to call the chiropractor who helped my daughter with her concussion, and, thankfully, I can tell I am healing. It does feel like a slow process, but I know that is par for the course with nerves, so I'm trying to remain patient.


One of the best things about the month ~
...was our first "Sabbath Week" of this academic term! The second full week of February was the seventh week of the year; thus, it was time to set aside the bookwork and rest.

We actually began the time with a weekend trip to our state capitol, where we enjoyed lunch at the city's famous Ella's Deli, a visit to a children's museum, a brief tour of the beautiful Capitol building, and a kid-friendly physics show on the university campus. Then we spent the night and part of the next day with my brother and his family before popping in on Jeff's parents in the afternoon. Because of our route, we dubbed the excursion our "Mini-Circle Tour."


For much of the rest of the week, we just relaxed at home, where all three big girls reveled in extended playtime and I enjoyed a respite from my Teacher role even though I was, of course, still Mom and Babysitter. We also welcomed Grandma for a visit on Wednesday. And then, on Thursday, we started preparing for a big event: a Tea Party/Sleepover here on Friday night and Saturday.

I'm not a huge fan of sleepovers because I believe they can sometimes create an environment that encourages unwholesome and even sinful behavior. But Rachel and Abigail have wonderful, sweet friends - they invited five girls - and we simply made sure they were always supervised. In fact, Jeff participated in the big game Abigail had conjured up during the week - Ogre, Princess, and Knights - playing the role of Ogre to the hilt, and I camped out in the living room with the girls when it came time to settle down for the night. Besides the game, other activities included a tea party (using the real china tea set Grandma had gotten Abigail for Christmas), a crafting time, watching Princess Bride, and playing Barbies. All in all, a big success, and - though I remain very cautious about allowing the girls to sleep over at other people's houses - I'm very willing to host more here in the future.


My own discipleship ~
Both of our intentional interim pastors came on board at church, marking the formal beginning of our congregation's healing process. And I've found myself walking a tightrope: encouraged on the one hand, and feeling a sense of relief that we are moving forward, but cautious on the other hand, not wanting to be naive about them, the elders, or what is possible going forward. More time-biding...


Questions, comments, thoughts ~
Do you allow sleepovers for your children - either at your home or elsewhere? Why or why not? I'd love to hear your thoughts, so leave me a comment!


Something to share ~
We celebrated my husband's birthday at the beginning of the month. For some reason, he wanted suspenders, so we obliged. He's really not old enough to need them; nor is he (quite) this weird, but...


Jeff and the girls attended the annual Father-Daughter Valentine's Dance sponsored by our homeschool association. Along with the Father-Child Campout in September, this is a highlight of the year for all three.


And later in the month, we marked Leah's first birthday. I couldn't believe it had been a full year since we first met her, just hours after her birth. She has certainly kept me hopping since I started caring for her full-time in August, but she is a joy, and I'm so glad I know her.


~~~~~

My online friend, Q, started a weekly home education-related link-up she calls Discipleship Deliberation, and I've enjoyed the format. If you'd like to join in, just visit Q at Napalm in the Morning to get her button, check for her most recent deliberation, review her guidelines, and link up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter did not want to participate in overnights until she was almost a teenager (Homeschool may have been the reason). We always knew the families extremely well, so we did not worry. One thing we did do was get real specific with our questions for our daughter and her hosts. Dropoff/pickup times, what meals will be served, any planned activiites or outings, etc... I see no problems with it as long as everyone involved knows the boundaries and rules.

Robin said...

Looks like Feburary was a wonderful month!!! :)

TRACKING MY OBEDIENCE