5.10.2012

Discipleship Deliberation: April, 2012

<span class=

Before we get too far into May, I'd better summarize April!

The month in general ~
...was filled with special events: the girls' first-ever piano recital, our ninth annual foray to The Big Event for Little Kids, and the girls' dance recital. Between all of that and Easter, we had "something" going on every weekend!

Mrs, Brown, the girls' wonderful piano teacher


In our studies this month ~
The first week of April - the week before Easter - was a Sabbath Week by design. Rachel, Abigail, and Anna spent most of every day playing, but we also took time each day to prepare our minds and hearts for Easter. And on Friday and Saturday before Easter, Jeff and the girls made this very cool assemblage of the symbol that is, of course, one of the most significant in all our lives.


For the rest of the month, we trucked along with our regular studies, starting a new science book (Answers in Genesis: God's Design for Life - The World of Animals); finishing one book in our Pathway Reading series and beginning the next; and making good progress with math, spelling, and history. Since our academic year mirrors a calendar year and because we learn year-round and don't take our longer summer break until late June, we're not "wrapping up" anything just now. But neither do we feel overwhelmed with academics since we take regular breaks that others do not.

What needs some tweaking ~
I may soon be making some significant changes in a particular area of my daily life, but I'm not at liberty to provide details just yet. Suffice it to say, though, that I'm more than aware of a need for some major "tweaking" (more like an overhaul!) and am pursuing how best to make the adjustments happen as soon as possible.

One of the best things about the month ~
...was watching the girls stretch themselves at their recitals. For me, it wasn't about the performances as much as seeing my precious girls blossom: beginning to share their God-given talents with others, growing in confidence as they try new things, and having fun as they express themselves.


My own discipleship ~
I was given multiple opportunities to demonstrate patience throughout the month. Unfortunately, I didn't  pass the "tests" very often...and, hence, the motivation for the above-mentioned need for a significant "tweak!" But I'm hoping to find more patience as I figure that out. Of course, in my own strength, it's not very possible or likely - despite some people's perceptions of me, I am just not naturally patient! - but, when I let Jesus' patience shine through me instead of blocking it up with my angst, it is there.

Questions, comments, thoughts ~
Even as the girls continue their inevitable journey toward growing into beautiful, mature young women, I'm so thankful they still revel in being young girls, too. They had a blast at The Big Event even though some of their same-age peers would pre-judge the activities as "too babyish" without even giving them a chance. Some booths were definitely geared for younger kids, but plenty was age-appropriate for kids the girls' ages, and we had a wonderful time.


Something to share ~
The girls' professional dance recital pictures:


All motherly bias aside, aren't they simply beautiful?

~~~~~

My online friend, Q, started a weekly home education-related review she calls Discipleship Deliberation, and I've enjoyed the format. If you'd like to join in, just visit Q at Napalm in the Morning to get her button, check for her most recent deliberation, review her guidelines, and link up.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like a great month!!!

Lol, motherly bias aside?? Hhhmm...is it possible for that to ever be put aside?? :P

I agree. God blessed you and Jeff with some beautiful girls. Inside and out.

Conny said...

your girls are lovely - and I too just had the experience of seeing my kids use their talents as they were both in a band/choir concert tonight. Kind of bittersweet as it will more than likely be the last ever at their Christian school ...
And by the way, thank you for the encouragement you left about us home-schooling next school year on my blog recently!! I am so excited to begin - and can just see God's Hand in it!!!! I too will be needing some "tweaking" - no doubt - as I spend 24/7 with my kids AT HOME With ME!!! But I look forward to the challenge - with God's help!! :)

Kimberly said...

Your girls are beautiful! Loved the pictures and reading about your month.

KMantoan said...

It seems that all the homeschooled girls I know enjoy activities deemed "too baby-ish" or "uncool" by mainstream society, however I think the problem is most children grow up too fast and are forced to give up toys and games they still enjoy due to peer pressure. My oldest son loved Thomas trains way beyond his other friends, and I really thought his future wife would have to contend with them, but then he just decided it was time to move on to Star Wars. His other friends had been into Star Wars for years, but he just wasn't interested. I'm happy he, and all my kids are comfortable doing what they enjoy and embracing new things when they're ready.
And BTW-great pics all around!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...