6.30.2012

Discipleship Deliberation: June, 2012

<span class=

June, 2012
The month in general ~
...went really fast. Our Teachers' Tots kids finished up their "school year" with us on June 7, but we had  visits from them almost every Thursday afternoon, and we kept up our studies through the 22nd. I was also preoccupied with a hard decision and its ramifications, so, before I knew it, the month had come to an end...but we still found time for summer fun.


In our studies this month ~
We completed our latest six-week term on June 22, and began our six-week summer hiatus after that. Before the 22nd, we came to good stopping points in our math and history curricula, each of the girls finished another book project, and we wrapped up our study of animals by learning about invertebrates and protists.

Greek-Style Theater Masks

Book Projects


Model Paramecia and Insects
What needs some tweaking ~
Over the last few months, I've made repeated but obscure references to an area in need of tweaking. Actually, I was referring to one of two different things at different times. Sometimes it was about the situation that resulted in my "hard decision" (see below for specifics on that), but other times I was thinking more about my physical health. And, now that the former has been resolved, it's time to hone in on the latter. I'm in the process of figuring out my goals and developing a plan for that and will write more about it soon.

One of the best things about the month ~
The Lord brought me closure and peace when He made it clear - through a variety of "God-incidences" - that I needed to stop caring for M., the baby girl I'd watched since early April. You can read more about that situation here.

My own discipleship ~
After much thought, I'd decided to inform M.'s parents of my decision via an email, not to avoid speaking with them - I knew we'd talk after they got my message - but to give them some time to first react in private. It was a good plan, bathed in prayer...but, though we're perfectly free to make our plans, God always directs our paths as He wishes. And, in this case, He clearly had something different in mind because the parents never got my email, and I ended up having to break the news to them in person when they came expecting to drop off M. for an afternoon visit. Talk about awkward! But I was acutely aware that He was carrying me through the process, guiding my words and my reactions to their words. And I realized anew in the middle of the conversation and afterward that I can do hard things.

Questions, comments, thoughts ~
Anna had her last official full-time day with us because - after more than five and a half years here - she'll start kindergarten at an area public school in the fall. But we get to spend regular time with her this summer, so we're willfully putting ourselves in denial about her departure for now. We'll deal with it in September!


Something to share ~
We had a health scare with our 15-year old cat, Clawde. In fact, we feared we'd have to put him down, and spent an entire day trying to prepare ourselves for the bad news we were sure the vet would deliver. However, what looked nasty turned out to be easily treatable, and he has fully recovered. At his age, we realize our remaining time with him is limited, but we're so thankful he's okay for now.

~~~~~
My online friend, Q, started a weekly home education-related review she calls Discipleship Deliberation, and I've enjoyed the format. If you'd like to join in, just visit Q at Napalm in the Morning to get her button, check for her most recent deliberation, review her guidelines, and link up.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...