11.14.2013

Books with Homeschool Characters

If you're like me, you might periodically bemoan the fact that so much of kid-culture revolves around the norms found in what we can refer to as "conventional school." I suppose it's to be expected since roughly 96% of American children currently attend such schools - either in the public/government setting or in private schools modeled on the public system.

But we don't have to like it. After all, at least two million American kids are currently homeschooled - and homeschooling was the norm in America and throughout the world until very recent history. So it's perfectly understandable that we might seek ways to show our kids that they're not "freaks" for being homeschooled even if they aren't in the majority at this point in time. And it's also good for us to find ways to celebrate homeschooling, historically and in contemporary culture.

Along those lines, I've sometimes looked for books with homeschooled characters - but my local library system has only one title that comes up in such an explicit search. Almost by accident, I've located a few others over the years, but not many.

Imagine my delight then when I stumbled upon a compilation of more than 150 books with homeschool characters at Teach Beside Me! Karyn Tripp's list contains books for readers of all ages and ability levels, including many classics and contemporary award-winners.
But it gets even better! Reading the comments to Karyn's post led me to HomeschoolLiterature.com, a website I'd somehow never before encountered, which lists and reviews dozens of other homeschool-oriented fiction books for children of all ages.
It is worth noting - for informational purposes - that HomeschoolLiterature.com is owned by a couple of resource providers who have chosen to correlate their main educational endeavors to the common core (CCS). Thus, it is possible that study guides and lesson plans being developed by the site administrators may also be CCS-correlated; I queried them today asking about that, and will add their response to the homeschool resource database I've developed as soon as I hear back from them. But, regardless of the response about teaching resources, literature itself is typically not altered for the CCS.

So I suggest that we all bookmark and refer to both lists when making literature purchases. We certainly needn't limit our kids to reading only homeschool-oriented literature. But everyone enjoys being able to personally relate to the characters in a story, and it's neat to know about books where our homeschooled kids can make those connections in terms of their education. So check out the lists, make room in the budget…and enjoy!

1 comment:

Karyn Tripp said...

Thanks so much for sharing a link to my post!

TRACKING MY OBEDIENCE